Friday, March 1, 2013

Resin Kit: 1/6 Shiranui Mai - Unboxing and Dryfit

After having finished my 1/7 Kan'u Unchou Resin Kit, my next project is another resin figure kit: a 1/6 Shiranui Mai, again from E2046.

The box Mai came in is larger than the one Kan'u came in. About twice larger. It came with a color photo and a parts list that also acts as a construction manual.



The parts came in both a parts bag and three individually wrapped pieces in bubble wrap.


The parts bag contain all of Mai's parts minus her hair. The individually wrapped pieces make up the base and Mai's large dynamic hair.



The pour plugs on most of the large parts are of decent size though better placement would have been appreciated. The beach ball for some odd reason has three pour plugs.


The smaller pieces are very well cast with very small pour plugs and minimal to no flash at all.


The face is very well cast with no flaws.


And like in Kan'u and Nami's case, Mai also has some molding problem on her cleavage.


One good thing about this kit is that pinholes have been included in the molding.

As I clean up and fit the pieces, a few issues with the kit arise.



A few air bubbles and nubmarks appear as I remove some of the ill-positioned pour plugs. The beach ball also need some scribing.


There are gaps between the two pieces that make up the base.


And gaps also appeared in the thighs and one armpit.


The nubs on the hair are a nightmare.


To fill in the air bubbles and nubmarks, I used some glazing putty. To scribe the missing panel lines, I used a welders scribe. I still need a lot of practice when using that tool.


The gap between the pieces of the base is filled with epoxy putty since they will be painted together. I applied the epoxy putty after I connected them together with a pin.


To fill in the gaps in the thighs and armpit, I used resin epoxy. I ended up trying the clear type, which after applying, made me realize that may have been a mistake. The epoxy is very clear and after sanding, I can't tell if the epoxy is crating a smooth transition with the resin.


As for the bad nubs on the hair, I decided to cut them up and just rebuild the shape of the hair with plummer's putty.


The kit doesn't come with an actual base that can make the kit stand. For that, I used a wooden sushi plate. Well, I think its a sushi plate. Anyway, it works quite well and the dry fitted kit stands very balanced.



Painting follows here.

No comments:

Post a Comment