Monday, April 22, 2013

Tutorial: Painting battle damages

Continuing on after applying the weathering, I now go on to paint the battle damage I applied earlier.

In painting the battle damage, I started by dry brushing black in the bullet holes and explosions. I also dry brushed a bit outside the bullet holes and explosions but kept it close to the edges.




After the black dries, I dry brush again with silver. Notice the silver is not very shiny but rather a dark metallic. This helps simulate melted metal.




Once the silver dries, I get a fine brush, I use the same one I use for hand brushing panel lines, and paint the raised edges of the melted plastic.




Try not to paint inside of the explosions or bullet holes.

When the black paint dries, I now paint the inside of the explosions and bullet holes with silver using the same fine brush I previously used.





If you get silver paint on the raised edges, you can always repaint it black once the silver dries.

My end result looks something like this.


On the pictures, you will notice that the thruster near the foot and vent above the large decal are black. This is exhaust burn. The inside of the rocket nozzle on the back of the leg and the section that gets exposed to rocket thrust are also black. This effect is achieved by dry brushing a lot of black that follows the direction of the exhaust.

That's it for my weathering and battle damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment